Colonic Irrigation Therapy
The value of tissue and body cleansing through colon lavage (irrigation or washing out of an organ) has been practiced for more than three thousand years. As early as 1500 B.C., the ‘Ebers Papyrus’, an ancient Egyptian medical document, described the many benefits of colon cleansing.
Dr. Wiltsie offers: “Our knowledge of the normal and abnormal physiology of the colon and its pathology and management has not kept pace with that of many organ systems of the body. As long as we continue to assume the colon will take care of itself, it’s just that long that we will remain in complete ignorance of perhaps the most important source of ill health in the whole body”.
What is Colon Hydrotherapy?
Colon hydrotherapy is the gentle rinsing of the colon with warm water, to remove encrusted fecal matter, gas and mucus. This allows vital nutrients to be absorbed more easily and leaves you feeling rejuvenated and healthier. Colonics can also help re-tone & reshape the colon. Colon hydrotherapy involves the safe, gentle infusion of water into the colon via the rectum. No chemicals or drugs are involved.
What are the Benefits of Colon Hydrotherapy?
A healthy well-functioning bowel is essential for the maintenance of optimal health. This vital organ remains the most neglected in the human body. When the blood stream is overloaded with toxic waste, the body will function at a lower level. Colon hydrotherapy is the most comprehensive way in which to remove toxins and waste build-up from the colon. The colonic irrigation helps restore the brain-gut connection. Colonics relieves bowel spasms. Colonics also assist in emotional clear-outs, as well as helping to re-educate the owner about how their body functions.
Colon Hydrotherapy Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What preparation will support my cleanse?
- Eat lighter, smaller meals, drink more liquids as in freshly made juices and filtered water.
- What should I do before a treatment?
- 2 hours prior to a colonic have no food.
- What should I do after the treatment?
Wear comfortable clothing. Keep the rest of the day for relaxation to enable the body to continue the cleansing process. Do not eat spicy or rich foods for at least 48 hours after a treatment. Abstain from alcohol for at least 48 hours after. Eat and drink living foods, probiotics in the form of sauerkraut, kefir yogurt and other fermented foods and beverages.
How long is a colonic session?
The average duration of a colon hydrotherapy is about 45 minutes.
Do I leave my modesty at the door?
The closed system colonic machine allows for a certain degree of privacy. Most people are surprised at the level of privacy that they experience.
What is the level of cleanliness and safety?
- Purified water is used in the colonic irrigation
- All colon-kits used are disposable.
- All surfaces and bathroom fascilities are sanitised between clients.
Is colon hydrotherapy painful?
Most people feel comfortable. Discomfort is of a short duration and passes quickly
Is the treatment dangerous?
Every client should know what risks are associated with any treatment, be it medical or non-medical. There are risks related to the use of most processes. Anything that can do good can also do harm if misused. Colonics are used as a widespread treatment in the alternative medicine community. The main risks sited in the literature are related to contaminated equipment or water and damage to the bowel wall.
How many treatments will I need?
Each person is unique in their healthcare journey. This will be determined once a health profile of the individual is established and the initial session is undertaken.
Are colonics possible for every person?
Colonic are used as a health promotional tool rather than a disease management tool. The contraindication list is used to indicate when a colonic hydrotherapy is applicable to the individual or not.
Contra-indications to colonic hydrotherapy as a health promotional tool:
- Hydration of the large intestine
- Relieving stagnation by removing wastes from the colon
- Helping to decrease gut permeability
- Improving bowel motility
- Encouraging peristaltic movement
- Improving nutrient absorption
- Re-balancing gut bacteria
- Contributing to liver, kidney and blood cleansing
What people have experienced through the use of colon hydrotherapy:
- Management of IBS, bloating and alternating of constipation and diarrhea
- Increasing energy levels, encouraging weight loss and long term weight management
- Helping managing food, alcohol and nicotene cravings
- Helping the release of emotional waste stored in the large colon
- Helping to clear the skin and removal of dark circles under the eyes.
- Helping to manage intolerances such as gluten, processed foods etc.
- As a kick start to healthy living
- As a visual reinforcement of the need to eat healthily and hydrate the body
- As a contribution to knowledge about the body and establishing connections between ones physical, intellectual and emotional being.